We all love to eat fruits and Vegetables. In the hot summer, fresh milkshakes or juices makes our body relaxed, cool and prevents water loss from the body cells. These healthy food products which are rich, essential and natural vitamins, fiber, antioxidants and other minerals help in reducing the risk of chronic diseases and other infections.
There are many varieties of fruit and vegetables available in today’s world and thanks to all the farmers and scientists for implementing different types of techniques in yielding nutrient-rich vegetables and fruits. Here are some surprising facts about fruit and veggies.
- Having a healthy diet including fruit and vegetables helps in protecting against cancer, diabetes, and other heart-related disorders.
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and sprouts play an excellent role in maintaining the health of cell organelles and their functions. These veggies also support the cell growth.
- Both fruits and vegetables are a good source of dietary fiber and are low in fat, salt, and sugar.
- As per the scientific research, regular use of fruit and vegetables can help in lowering the risk of stroke, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, obesity and lot more.
- Yams, berries, figs and other dark leafy greens such as spinach, romaine, arugula, and broccoli are high in folate and iron, which helps in protecting the eggs, strengthening the Female Reproductive System, and also boosts fertility.
Apart from all these facts, there are few fruits and Vegetables which contain protective compounds and it should be included in our everyday diet to get the full range of health benefits. For instance:
- Red colored fruit and veggies – like tomatoes and watermelon contain lycopene, which functions by fighting against the cancer cells.
- Green colored vegetables – like cucumber, kale, and all green leafy vegetables contain lutein, which plays an important role in protecting against the age-related eye disorders.
- Blue and purple colored fruit and veggies – like eggplant, plums, figs, blueberries, purple cabbage, etc. These contain anthocyanins, which helps in lowering the LDL cholesterol, boosting the immune system, maintain the healthy digestion, etc.
- White colored vegetables – like cauliflower, white onions, cabbage, mushrooms, garlic, etc. They contain many nutrients, including riboflavin, vitamin-D, and sulforaphane, which helps in balancing the hormonal levels, reducing the risk of many cancers, activating the B and T cells, strengthening bone, tissue, etc.
These were some surprising facts about fruit and veggies.
For more information, students can subscribe to BYJU’S YouTube channel and check the YouTube videos to understand more about the nutrition value in fruit and veggies and also learn about science-related topics from various engaging video lessons provided in the channel.